Monday, June 8, 2009

Little Wedding Moments

So many things to remember about the wedding, little moments I never want to forget. So this entry is really just for myself, although you’re welcome to remember along with me. I'm sure I'll leave out so many, but this is just the little stuff, the one-offs, that I'd hate to lose.

1. Forgetting to ask Devon to do the reading, and then frantically texting her the day before. And then forgetting to GIVE Devon the reading, and having her see it for the first time 40 minutes before the ceremony

2. My brother, at the rehearsal dinner, beginning his toast with “Well, in high school, we were all pretty convinced that Liz was a lesbian…”

3. Doing shots of whiskey with my cousins the night before, and thinking to myself “This is the moment I’m going to reference as the moment I should have stopped drinking”



4. Des doing my hair and being impeccably German about the whole thing.



5. The relief of Devon taking my blackberry away from me and fielding all questions, concerns or suggestions the day of. It was exactly what I needed.

6. Running to the pre ceremony margarita hour in flip flops and a sundress

7. Neglecting to actually pick music for the ceremony, and having my dad ask me, as we’re walking in, “Is there music?” and going “Whoops. Um, probably not”

8. …and then being happily surprised to hear Clair de Lune strike up and realize that, once again, Kristen had saved the day

9. Walking down the aisle with my dad, and thinking that it was too short. A huge moment over so quickly.


10. During the vows, thinking to myself “I also vow to stop leaving water bottles all over the house, as I know how much it annoys you”

11. My uncle doing the ceremony, and needing the golf pro to make it official

12. Pictures with Mike and Sammy during the cocktail hour, and us calling to Sammy during breaks: “Sammy – bring the scotch!”

13. Toasts! I love a good toast, and so many wonderful ones… both brothers, my dad, Eddie, Faith, Sara, Devon, Marjorie, Rob, Mad [Col Hadder], the Teubners, Mike and Ann…and so many I’m sure I’m forgetting at this moment.

14. The Fudgie the Whale Ice Cream Wedding Cake

15. First song from the band: Sweet Home Alabama. And I didn’t sit down for a single second after they started

16. Samantha singing. Oh my God this was the most amazing moment of the wedding. She wanted to sing for our “first dance,” and then, in the middle of the band’s first set, she got up there with them and belted out Journey’s “Open Arms.” Tears, people. Tears.

17. Speaking of the band: amazing. I’d travel to go see them as a special event; having them at my wedding was an amazing present from Kristen and Joe. Amazing.

18. Sending Laura to go get my parents for the band’s first encore, Billy Joel’s Italian Restaurant.

19. Second encore: Scotty Doesn’t Know – Just for Mike

20. My family and I toasting each other with cans of Bud… much like my parents did 37 years ago at their wedding. I don’t know who smuggled in the Budweiser, but I owe them big time


21. The disgusting sweaty mess that was my brother Mike



22. …and how he split his pants while dancing

23. Laura requesting MmmmmmBOP at the bar afterwards, and the DJ almost kicking us out



24. Mike purchasing $120 worth of beer at the beer (a total of 24 beers. Ouch) to move the pool

25. Changing out of my wedding dress at the pool deck into Devon’s borrowed bikini

26. Mike showing people how to open beer bottles with his wedding ring

27. Swimming/hot tubbing with the gang till 4:30 in the morning, then walking back to our hotel room barefoot and in a bathing suit...

28. …and waking up the next to discover I had no other clothes with me (side note: thanks to Devon for grabbing my dress!)

29. …making Mike’s first official husband act the act of “Find wife some clothes”

30. Someone at the brunch the next morning asking me why I was in such a good mood after so little sleep, and me saying “Not sure, I think I might still be drunk”

31. Leisurely drive down to Key West on Monday … the first time Mike and I had been alone in almost a week. It was perfect.

1 comment:

cicadalady said...

sounds like a wonderful day! congratulations!!!