Friday, June 26, 2009

BMI, Healthy Knees, and Why Runner's World Can Bite Me

In this month’s Runner’s World, there was an article detailing different types of knee pain, and the causes and risks associated with said pain. One of the knee injuries profiled is one I’m quite familiar with: Iliotibial-Band(ITB) Syndrome, which is inflammation in the band of fibers that run along the outside of the knee.

Now, according to this article, the people most at risk are “Women with a BMI of 21 (weighing 135 at 5’7”, for example)” because the “extra body weight puts a heavier load on the hips and more pressure on the IT band.”

As a woman with a BMI of 21 – which is to say, I’m 5’7” and weigh 135 – I say: Bite me.

Forgetting for a second that, according to the National Institute of Health, a BMI of 21 is considered “Normal,” and therefore the premise of my “extra weight” causing knee pain is inherently flawed, I can think of about a thousand different reasons why this article and its conclusion is one of the more annoying things I’ve encountered this week. In the interest of time, I’ll give you two:


1. BMI is a ridiculous way to assess “healthy” weight

BMI doesn’t distinguish between muscle and fat…and muscle weighs more. I weigh about 10 pounds more than I did when I was in college, but I’m about 100x healthy than I was then. Last year, I posted a picture of me running my very first running race in 2005, and my brother commented: “Whoa, you look so much skinner – and not in a good way.” And he was right. I was a TON skinnier, but had no muscles, no strength, and, ironically, my knee problems were a LOT worse.


2. At the risk of sounding hyper sensitive: 135 pounds at 5’7” isn’t fat.

It just isn’t, and I’d appreciate it if pop culture would stop telling me that any female weighing more than 110 weighs too much. I’ve had more than one friend – and , if I’m going to be honest, I’ve spent more than a few days myself – stressing about “weighing too much”, when the reality of what is “too much” is based on such flawed perception. If we ever wonder why, as a culture, we’re so fat and/or neurotic, maybe it’s because we focus on entirely the wrong things. Numbers on a scale instead of the types of food we eat, size of our waist instead of the distance we can run or weight we can lift.

I think if I’d read this article in Cosmo or US Weekly, I wouldn’t care so much; those magazines aren’t intended to focus on fitness and health. But Runner’s World is, and I’m totally annoyed that they missed the mark so completely.

2 comments:

Julie said...

DITTO!

I, too, am 135 lbs at 5'7" (give or take the occasionally twinkie).

I'm also a runner who has had chronic knee pain since my early 20s. Know what fixed it? I stopped wearing running shoes.

The article "The painful truth about trainers" by Christopher McDougall is a good synopsis if you're interested.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html

Or, this article that discusses why Nike developed the Nike Free:

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2005/08/68474

But, yeah, thanks, Runner's World, you can take your "extra weight" and put it somewhere uncomfortable... like a shoe.

Anonymous said...

5'7' and 135 is actually UNDERWEIGHT. Geez, that's the "lightweight" category for a rower in the fall season.

Runner's World is a stupid magazine, on the balance. Every cover these days has some midriff-exposed (female) or shirtless (male) runner, springing along, looking all smug and perfect, and the print is, to put is simply, image-obsessed. Every now and then there's an interesting article.

ITB is not a weight issue. Otherwise all women (pretty much) would have ITB.