Thursday, June 25, 2009

How Twitter Can Make You A Happier Person

Just read a great post titled “How Twitter Can Make You A Better (and Happier) Person” by the CEO of Zappos.

Tony – the Zappos guy – is one of my favorite people I follow on Twitter. I’m a big fan of the company for many reasons, and only one is related to shoes; I’ve been working in the field of Client Satisfaction for awhile, and Zappos has done a GREAT job building a company that encompasses the Client Sat values I think are important to be successful. When I read about the Zappo’s corporate values and culture, I’m reminded about how I want to frame my own professional values -- but that’s a totally different post.

ANYWAY, in this post Tony discusses what it means to him to tweet daily, and how he uses it as an opportunity to reinforce his overall values – both corporate and personal. As he says:


1. Transparency & Values: Twitter constantly reminds me of who I want to be, and what I want Zappos to stand for
2. Reframing Reality: Twitter encourages me to search for ways to view reality in a funnier and/or more positive way
3. Helping Others: Twitter makes me think about how to make a positive impact on other people's lives
4. Gratitude: Twitter helps me notice and appreciate the little things in life



I go back and forth on whether or not to protect my Twitter updates; on the one hand, I want to be able to communicate with my family and friends without worrying about my employer seeing what I wrote, on the other, I don’t want to be writing things that I would be embarrassed for my employer to see.

After re-reading this blog I’m unlocking my tweets again, and rethinking how I want to mass communicate with the world.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Liz....be careful, it's addicting! haha! But you are right, it does make you re think how you view the world. Thanks for your transparency and for stepping out. Kudos to you!

Jessica said...

I personally have become more and more convinced that the transparency required to be a successful social networker is a GREAT thing and I am learning to embrace it.
I totally agree that it requires a deeper commitment to your own personal values and to be a consistent person in all areas of your life. Gone are the days when you could have an "online" persona. Now it's all about being who you really are and not being afraid to have the whole world see that person.

cicadalady said...

i don't use twitter, but i just have to add that i love zappos too! seriously. i only get shoes from there! i love how you can return them at no cost. just got myself a new pair of running shoes!