Thursday, August 20, 2009

Book Review: The Ten Year Nap


I hated every single character in this book. There was not a single individual that I didn't want to grab by the shoulders and shake while yelling "STOP COMPLAINING!"

The concept of this book is much better than the execution. The characters seemed to have no depth or dimension to them, there was no discussion about the the worlds in between staying at home full time or working full time for mothers, and as I read I kept thinking to myself "Thank GOD I'm not friends with any of these hateful people."

I can't stop thinking about it and how annoyed I am by this book, which I suppose is enough to recommend it; it's the forgettable books I am sorry I took the time to read. And
I think it will serve as interesting discussion fodder for book club, at the very least; a book about the horribly unhappy lives of women grappling with the decisions that lead them to becoming stay at home moms is an interesting topic for a book club filled with professional woman in their 20s thinking about having/just beginning to have kids (any suggestions on how to make that last sentence LONGER? Yeah, didn't think so). And the book DID make me think about where I want to be in 10/15 years and how the person I am now -- and the choices I am making now -- will influence that.

But it still sucked. Ugh.

No comments: