Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"It's Not About The Bike" in 140 characters or less - Lance on Twitter

So, Lance Armstrong's on Twitter-- he updates like 20 times a day -- and posted this pic

It must be so surreal to know your words are that important to people. Guys, let me know if you have this blog on you when you get blown up in Iraq. I'll sign it for ya.

Anyway, despite the cliche of someone who likes her bike liking a Lance Armstrong book (which I think makes me a certified tri geek), I still recommend this book to anyone who will listen. It's a book about being so sick that you think you won't ever be well, depression in losing a sense of self through sickness, and then getting over it. Oh yeah, it's also about being a kick ass athlete and what it takes to be at the top of one's game.

I related. When I look back to the time directly after I got out of the hospital, I wince in remembrance. I struggled -- unknowingly -- for a long time to regain the sense of self that I lost when I got really sick. It's clear to me in retrospect but at the time I was just living day by day, completely unaware of how much pain I was really in.

Of course, I didn't have to win the Tour de France to get over 'it' -- nor am I a kick ass athlete -- but then, I wasn't mostly dead with cancer, so I think its all proportional.

It was hard to get through at parts, but I think it may be one of the loveliest books I have ever read.

1 comment:

Louie said...

sounds like a good holiday gift for someone (hint, hint) :)