Monday, December 1, 2008

Elizabeth Lewis, You are an Ironman


"How do you know if you are ready to go long? You don't. You commit, you train, and you pray" -Going Long


It was amazing, humbling, wonderful, painful and basically the best day ever.

People keep remarking in a surprised fashion that I look so happy in all the pictures. One of my friends and fellow racers said to me last night: "I just can't believe how happy you look. How could you look like you're having so much fun during the race?"

What can I say? Six years ago I was told I'd never be healthy enough to run a marathon, three years ago I had heart surgery, and for the past two years I've been sitting on the sidelines watching others finish race after race; how could I be anything BUT happy while racing an Ironman? Any day you get a chance to do what you once thought impossible, you'd better smile.

I'm proud of myself. With a little planning, a little luck, a lot of support, and the unwavering belief that putting one foot in front of the other will get you where you need to go, I really believe you can do anything.








5 comments:

Jessica said...

You are my hero. And that's final.

NDB said...

ok so what exactly was your heart problem?

They call me "Q" said...

I'm so happy I could be there for your first IM, just like you were there for me!! Full circle baby. Sooooooo proud of you!

Liz said...

@messypuppy: I had ventricular tachicardia (presented when I was 21), which I attempt to control with beta blockers for several years, before having a corrective procedure that took my tachy rhythms from "Chronic" to "every now and again"

Andrew said...

You are SO awesome!!!!