Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Ironman Weekend

I can't believe it's almost here. Just under a year ago I registered for Ironman Arizona, and in just a few days I will actually be at Ironman Arizona. Crazy. As they say, the days have been long but the year has been short.

I'm sad it's going to be over. Sure, training for an ironman is life crushing and limiting in many ways, but I was just really starting to enjoy the training and really feel like I was getting the hang of it. I will miss this goal when it's gone.

A few weeks ago I said to a friend: "You know, I'm pretty sure I can finish the race, but now I'm wondering why I'd WANT to". I've done a few ultra long distance type races and training, and man, struggling to finish can just hurt. I know I can do it, but I'm trying to remember why I want to. But that was a few weeks ago. Now I'm just curious as hell to see how it goes.

It'll be a long day. It's not going to be very pretty. But I know that no matter how I do on Sunday, I know I will want to do better. I'm sure I'll be back to Ironman.

No comments: